Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Anticipation

Andrew started school yesterday... it is his last semester before he earns his Associates in Administration of Justice.

And in just 15 days I will be taking my first graduate class.. the first of many. I am really excited and nervous. I already looked up my books.. 10 books. I guess that's really not that bad for two graduate classes. I know it will be okay but I'm still unsure of what to expect. I know that I will be fine. I live for this stuff.

I started learning French. I had a $15.00 free groupon from signing up and I used it to get 1 free month of French at livemocha.com. I'm still on the first lesson, but I am surprised at how easy it is to learn because I already have 6 years of the Spanish language under my belt. I might not be the best speaker, but I can easily recognize similar words and patterns between the two languages. Learning Spanish first has made this process a lot easier for me. I know that learning French will benefit me not only with my new French family I inherited when I married Andrew but also if I want to work with Rwanda or central Africa for my career. I am also trying to find somewhere that can teach me Kinyarwanda. I know about 60 words (I counted after I left Rwanda). There is no formal language course or textbook for this language, which makes it difficult. One more reason I wish I had stayed longer... if anyone knows about anything, please let me know.

When I get these two languages under my belt and a Masters in Conflict Analysis and Resolution, I will be ready to start a lifetime career in International Development. I am confident in that.


Anyways, that's all for now. Nothing really big going on with us. Just a lot of time spent with friends and family... and preparing for the next chapter in our lives.

3 comments:

  1. Way to go girl! I can tell you after working for a non-profit that focused on Africa that knowing the French languages is very important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be happy to help with the French. I'm pretty rusty but happy to do what I can. Bonne Chance! (Means good luck!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with school and French lessons! You are so driven--I know you'll do great.

    ReplyDelete