Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Not your average Tuesday

So today was a pretty busy day.. for both Andrew and me. I'll start with my less exciting news. I took the day off work to get all my grad school issues handled. I had an appointment with the Student Financial Aid Office at Mason's Fairfax campus. Fortunately for me, the federal government is going to offer me well over the amount I need to attend school (in loans of course). I was worried I had already reached the fed. govt loan cap... but I was wrong. Good thing too because we could not afford to put both of us through school right now.

After that appointment, I had a meeting on Mason's Arlington campus (the campus I will take my classes at). I had never been there before, so I was excited to check it out. The campus itself is pretty small and in the center of downtown Arlington. It is conveniently located near the metro and a lot of restaurants, etc. I like the environment though. It is not as busy as the Fairfax campus. Most of the students at this campus, if not all, are graduate level. It was quiet and everyone was studying. It would be a great place for me to focus.

As for Andrew... the big news is... he is officially a Marine! This might have come out of left field for our friends, but he had been talking about joining the Marine Corps Reserves for the past few weeks (I know, not a long time). First he talked to a recruiter and completed his paperwork and this morning he went to take a competency exam and a medical exam. He couldn't call me all day, but had been awake since 4:30 AM. When I finally talked to him, around 4:30 PM, he said that he had already been sworn in and was a Marine. It has all moved so fast, but I am really excited for him... and of course proud of him. It has taken him a long time to find his own, but I think he is finally getting there. He will complete his Associates in Administration of Justice in May and head to boot camp shortly after. It will be different for us because he can only talk to me 3 times during the boot camp... but we can do it! After boot camp he will work one weekend a month for 6 years (active duty) and 2 years (inactive duty). He will also deploy two weeks out of the year... but most of the deployments at this time are non-combative (I can sleep easy!). Again, I am really excited for him. I think this direction he is taking with his life is going to be a perfect fit for what he ultimately wants to do in life with criminal justice.

Well it has for sure been a crazy past few weeks for the Weber family! We are so grateful for these opportunities the Lord has granted to us. Keep checking the blog for more updates.. I'm sure I will have news about the status of my interview next week!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats for Andrew being in the Marines and grateful that he will be serving our country so thank you for that Andrew and I am glad everything seems to be turning out really well for you guys. You are a great couple and the Lord is really watching over you and looking out for you guys. He knows what is best for you guys:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not kidding! You've had an eventful week!! Congrats to Andrew--I know he'll do great. Mark and I could only write letters for two years while he was on his mission, so I know you'll survive boot camp. You'll probably be so busy it will go by fast. Good luck with the internship opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many changes in such a short time! You guys will work through it and have fun in the process! Good luck to you both

    ReplyDelete